Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sweater Talk

I was sitting on the couch working on this little thing I call my blog, when the girl asked about the logo over the left breast of my sweater.

"Is that Benetton?"

"Yep. I got it in a thrift store years ago. Holes included."

"That's funny how moths eat holes in your clothes, but then it looks kind of cool."

"Right? Over the summer I noticed moths would come in through the back door." I usually leave the back door open in the evening for air circulation. Since I don't have a screen door, the apartment is open to the elements. "This made me a little nervous; like, were they going to eat my clothes?"

This conversation led to us asking Wikipedia about moths. Since Wikipedia knows everything, and everything on Wikipedia is always right, this seemed like a logical thing to do. Turns out that there are only a handful of moth species that eat wool. In fact, adult moths don't eat at all, since they lack mouths (creepy).

The best part, though, was the section of the entry titled "Notable Moths". They forgot to mention Mothra! I was going to login to Wikipedia to make the edit and bitch about the oversight in the Talk section. But then I got bored with the idea.

Image via Japanamator