Monday, November 12, 2007

One Night, A While Back

Early last Spring, we all headed out to Tuman's one night, and stumbled into what had to be one of the sickest DJ sets I've heard in a long time. Within 20 minutes almost everyone in the room was out on the dance floor. Drunk, sweaty, bodies bumping, this was the kind of dance party you usually only heard other people talk about. By the end of the night Major Taylor had worn us out, Tuman's was closed, and we were drunk.

Caroline brought her cello to my place earlier in the evening, intending to play with Fadil later. We headed back to the apartment, tired but excited. One of those moments you can't appreciate until it's over. Caroline on the cello, Fadil on the guitar, we settled into the cushions lining Fadil's Moroccan memory of a living room. Holly to my left, and I with my notebook, scribbling disjointed and drunken thoughts. Mila sat off to my right, and she snapped this photo.


I was playing around with my Flickr account tonite when I came upon this old photo, and the funny thing is that I can still remember the details of that night, some six months back. The thing I remember most vividly is the sound of Eisenhower's farewell address to the nation playing in the background as Caroline and Fadil made music. It's funny how the confluence of an image and a sound can come together to take you back to a time and a place. Six months isn't long, but that night feels so far away now.



You can listen to (and download) Eisenhower's complete speech here.