Monday, November 12, 2007

Craigslisted!

Craigslist really is the dregs of internet society. It's great if you are looking for an apartment or a job, and aren't naive about the world of work or clueless about the city. My friend Caroline tried to sell one of her old Cellos on CL once. She called me all excited because she got an email from a guy that was going to pay her the full price she was asking. She told he sounded really nice, and even though his English wasn't very good she was looking forward to meeting him. It turned out to be a scam.

So when I posted a zinger in the Casual Encounters section, I got an email back about ten minutes later:

Hi
I read your ad at the Chicago craigslist. What's your name? How old are you? I enjoy the company of real people, people who love themselves and aren't afraid of being that person. I recently graduated from UIC. Things I love: baseball, photography, hugging pups, spinning in circles, listening to groovy music, flip flops, being around my family, ummm, jogging, eating fruit, stretching my body out, and exploring new things with interesting people. What else do you want to know? Tell me more about what you do for fun. I'm being fairly spontaneous tonight, so bear with me.
So if you like what you see we can go from there. Please send pics too.
--
Psst... wanna know a secret? Click here
Life is short. Live life again. Have an affair.

Since I can't resist clicking on the links, I followed the links in the bogus email until I reached the Ashley Madison Agency.



This isn't what I had in mind when I posted a smart alec response to some else's desperate and vaguely self-unaware personal ad. I think the creepiest part of this email is that she says she "recently graduated from UIC". And that she's "being fairly spontaneous tonight". Even though the email arrived at 11:30 in the morning.

I don't know what it is about Craigslist, but it seems to bring out the worst in people. Aggressive, racist rants. Unsolicited cock pictures. Trolls luring the lonely and then publicly humiliating them. Seriously, I don't know why I even look. Regardless, I suddenly feel like monogamy has turned to monotony. So, I think now I'm going to have to cheat.