Monday, October 15, 2007

Pinback

I was walking to Metro with a friend Sunday night, talking about how enjoyable it is to have my weekends free. We were going to see Pinback, who are touring to support their new album. As I've mentioned before, not working on weekends is something that I still enjoy, a perk, rather than an entitlement.



I was talking about how much I enjoy going to see Sunday night shows. After spending a pretty crappy afternoon working on my take-home midterm, it was nice to get some fresh air and be around other, actual human beings.

Not surprisingly, we walked a few blocks to get to Metro - parking in Lakeview is so much worse than I remember. But it was a nice night, so I didn't mind.

"If I were still waiting tables, we'd just be heading out now. I would have made my money for the weekend, $160 in my pocket maybe? I'd have gotten home, taken a shower and changed. This would be the first time out for the weekend."

"A waiter's Friday night?" she asked.

"Yeah. I'd be doing laundry tomorrow, some homework. Maybe go dick around in a coffee shop or a bar later in the afternoon."

"That doesn't sound like too much fun."

"It wasn't," I said, chuckling at the memory of how much I hated it.

I've never seen Pinback live before, but I'm pretty familiar with their music - I have three or four of their albums. We got to the balcony of Metro just in time to get a couple of beers as they took the stage. Laid back indie rock on a Sunday night never sounded so good.