Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Well, Here We Go...

I've always avoided putting together a blog of my own. I thought it was pretentious. Like, who cares what you think? I was derisive of blogging; I remember when they were called webpages I would scoff.

Then, about a year ago I found myself writing politics for that ephemeral of-the-moment darling Chicagoist. And that's when all of that changed.

I met people that wrote. People that thought of themselves as writers, who wrote stories and essays, for publication and for themselves.

I guess I've always written. I used to struggle to write these silly, self-indulgent short stories. I never really liked them. Sure, there was a section that I enjoyed reading, a sentence or two that I was really proud of. But overall I struggled to produce what I thought a Writer was supposed to write. You know, Big Important Things. Now I feel like less is more, and that simply telling the story of your day to day is much more interesting. In a way, Chicagoist took me there.

So here we go....

Image via rogercastoro